Parents Code of Conduct
Parents' Code of Conduct
As a parent or guardian of a Gulf Storm player, you have a responsibility to:
1. Ensure to the best of your ability that your child abides by the rules of hockey, the policies of Gulf Storm principals of good sportsmanship.
2. Ensure to the best of your ability that your child respects his/her teammates, coaches, team officials, referees, opponents, opposing coaches, opposing team officials and other participants in Gulf Storm games, practices and other association activities.
3. Ensure to the best of your ability that your child conducts himself/herself in a manner that minimizes the risk of injury, both physical and psychological, to himself/herself and others which includes refraining absolutely from making any derogatory comments as to another individual’s race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, gender and/or sexual orientation.
4. Refrain from criticism of coaches, team officials, referees, teammates, opponents, opposing coaches, opposing team officials and other participants Gulf Storm and other association activities and, when you feel that criticism is warranted, you shall offer it in a manner that is fully respectful, through proper channels and away from the hockey rink in any event.
5. Refrain from directing comments which are insulting, intimidating, humiliating, hurtful, malicious, degrading or otherwise offensive to players, team officials, referees and association volunteers including but not restricted to division managers, board members, executive members and paid association staff such as the team and skill development coaches. If you feel that criticism of any such person is warranted, you shall offer it in a manner that is fully respectful, through proper channels and away from the hockey rink in any event.
6. Refrain from discussing the weaknesses of other team players and/or coaching staff with your child.
7. Familiarize yourself with, and abide by the policies and procedures of Gulf Storm.
Fair Play Code:
I will not force my son or daughter to participate in hockey.
I will remember that my son or daughter plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not mine.
I will encourage my son or daughter to play be the rules and to resolve conflict without resorting to hostility or violence.
I will make my son or daughter feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and playing their best.
I will never ridicule or yell at any participant for making a mistake or losing a game.
I will remember that children and youth learn by example. I will applaud good plays and performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
I will never question the official's judgment or honesty in public. I recognize officials are developing in the same manner as players.
I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from hockey games.
I will respect and show appreciation of the FAIR PLAY CODE, rules and regulations as set by Hockey Canada, PEI Hockey and my Minor Hockey Association.